What is FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (known as the FAFSA) is a form that can be prepared annually by current and prospective college students (undergraduate and graduate) in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. Click here for the FAFSA Application

Federal Student Aid offers several different types of financial aid. The most common types of aid students are offered from the federal government as a result of completing a FAFSA are:

Pell Grant – A grant of up to $6,195 (as of the 2019-20 Award Year) for students with a low expected family contribution. Unlike a loan, a Pell Grant does not have to be repaid and are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. The amount of the award can depend on financial need, the cost of attendance and full-time status.

Stafford Loan – Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) at participating schools.

The Federal Work-Study Program – A program where students can get part-time work, up to a certain amount. In most cases, the federal government pays half of a student’s wage and the school pays the other half.

Students are now able to file a FAFSA as early as October 1, using income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2020-21 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) will report their 2018 income information, rather than their 2019 income information. And you may ask, who is considered your parent for FAFSA? Here’s that answer.

Undocumented students can apply for institutional aid through the Aid Application for CT Undocumented Students (AACTUS). Resources and support are available through CT Students for a Dream.

¿Qué es la FAFSA? 

Para solicitar ayuda económica federal para los estudios superiores, como becas (subvenciones), estudio y trabajo y préstamos, hay que llenar la Solicitud Gratuita de Ayuda Federal para Estudiantes (FAFSA, por sus siglas en inglés). Además de ser gratis, es más fácil que nunca llenar y presentar la FAFSA. Al hacerlo, usted tendrá acceso a la mayor fuente de ayuda económica para pagar los estudios universitarios o profesionales.

Además, muchos estados e instituciones educativas utilizan los datos de la FAFSA para otorgar la ayuda que ellos mismos ofrecen. Incluso algunas entidades privadas hacen uso de la información de la FAFSA para otorgar ayuda. Haga clic aquí para la solicitud FAFSA

Haga clic aquí para ver un Cuadro del proceso FAFSA que lo guía a través del proceso de preparación para completar y enviar un formulario FAFSA. También incluye información sobre lo que sucede una vez que se ha enviado el formulario.

Los estudiantes pueden presentar la FAFSA a partir del 1 de octubre, utilizando la información de ingresos de un año fiscal anterior. Por ejemplo, en la FAFSA 2021-22, los estudiantes (y los padres, según corresponda) informarán su información de ingresos de 2019, en lugar de su información de ingresos de 2020. Y puede preguntar, ¿quién es considerado su padre para la FAFSA? Aquí está esa respuesta.

Los estudiantes indocumentados pueden solicitar ayuda institucional a través de la Solicitud de Ayuda para Estudiantes Indocumentados de CT (AACTUS). Recursos y apoyo están disponibles a través de CT Students for a Dream.